Thursday, August 5, 2021

William H. Remley, Advertises Land For Sale.

Copyright 2021, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

I have been digging through old newspapers for a good year now.  I have been finding so many little tidbits, like the names of parents of infants that died young that I have been wondering about for years.  Marriage announcements that may tie a marriage record from a locality I doubted - - SURPRISE.  One of our mystery females I found so many little "social gossip" columns goodies it took me over a week to find them and type them all up, but, whewie, did I ever fill in lots of blanks and questions about her.  Found much tragedy, in one line, it was so perverse I had to set aside the research for now, it was just too overwhelmingly sad.

Now and then, I note a new paper has come on line, or I discover a paper that is not on one of the "pay to play" sites.  

All in all, it has been great fun.  And, a lot of typing. I have hundreds of articles waiting for transcription.  That part is not so much fun tho.  LOL

The other day, a new paper came online in one of my "pay to play" sites and it covered some early dates.  In a burnt county in South Carolina.  You know I hurried over there!  

And, yepper, here is something fun and new:


From the Charleston Courier, Charleston, South Carolina, Oct. 21, 1863.

Further rabbit hole snooping commenced, from the site "Names in Colleton County" I found this about Mashawville.  I had never heard of it.

"About four miles from Walterboro in the highway to Charleston are perhaps a dozen houses hugging the highway which form a community known as Mashawville."

Newspapers, truly my link to understanding and broadening my family tree.



** Remember, to check my Disclaimers Page.  Pay sites I use, well, I pay for.  

.

No comments: