Wednesday, March 17, 2021

When the Indexing Fails, Change Up Your Search Parameters.

Copyright 2021, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

I searched for Arthur more than once in the data set that should have contained his death certificate.  

However, the indexing was just failing.  Even just the last name and a year failed.  

And in a moment of brilliance or madness, I decided to try his given name and the death year.  I was surprised when the search engine allowed such a search, many will not allow a search unless there is a surname.  

Guess what, it was indexed/transcribed wrong.  I was glad I tried the unusual search.

Hennedy was the indexing.  Kennedy is the name.  They managed to get it right on his wife's name, just not his.  




I submitted a correction. 

I knew it was there, how to free it from the indexing horrors was the challenge.

After several attempts, I beat the system at it's own game.  

Tenacity and creativity for the win.



.

No comments: