Thursday, March 4, 2021

Luther Dews, Cleaning Files Fun, OR, Lookie What I Found

Copyright 2021, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

I have to laugh when a friend complements me on being organized.  If they only could see my messy computer files. I am trying, one more time to clean up disasters, err, my computer files.

The other day as I was working in the data base I found this in Luther's text file.  Frankly, honestly, and embarrassingly, I could not remember what in the world this meant.  Shame on me.

Luther Dews
 in the U.S., Army Transport Service, Passenger Lists, 1910-1939
Name: Luther Dews
Departure Date: 17 May 1918
Departure Place: Newport News, VA
Address: 549 Chapel St
Residence Place: Norfolk VA
Father: Robert L Dews
Ship: Madawaska
Rank: Private
Service Number: 2471949
Notes: Company B, 319th Infantry, 80th Division

Today I found the image for this tidbit.  It was buried on my hard drive, deep in the dark recesses of what I laughingly call, organized file structure. I have digitally edited the image somewhat, removing a number of names,  I have maintained the original full octane version of the file, but, not on my data base.  I downsize images there so as to save storage room in the data base.  It used to be more important to do that, not so much these days with the cheaper storage we have available.  

Anywayyyyyyyy - - here it is - - - Luther is number 92.  I like that it names his father and home address.


The collection is from Ancestry dot com, I located the description here.   Part of the description of the data set is:

"The U.S. Army Transport Service (ATS) was established in 1899 as part of the Army Quartermaster Department. It was originally created to manage the transport of troops and cargo on Army ships that travelled between U.S. and overseas ports during the Spanish-American War. During World War I, the Quartermaster Corps managed the Army's deepwater fleet."



* Please remember to check my Disclaimers page and the fact that I pay for my use of the web site Ancestry dot com.  

No comments: