Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Civil War Pension Index, It's Not All Civil War

Copyright 2021, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

So, you have a Civil War Pension Index card, but, the dates of service are not those of someone serving during the Civil War??

I accessed this set from Fold3 (as part of my Ancestry dot com subscription).  

It's called:  Organization Index to Pension Files of Veterans Who Served Between 1861 and 1900.  Found here.    Part of the description page tells us:

"This publication contains index cards for pension applications of veterans who served in the U.S. Army between 1861 and 1900, including wars other than the Civil War."

I have seen a similar card for Arthur, yep, I have 2.  This one shows a stamp indicating "War with Spain".  The other card does not show that stamp.  


It never hurts to look at a data set even if you think the time frame is off kilter.  In this case I thought something was amiss.  Nope, it was just fine and yep, it was the ancestor I was researching. I came away with a new understanding of the data set.  Good stuff.


* Refer to my Disclaimers page here at Reflections.  Fold3 is part of my subscription at Ancestry dot com.

**No guarantees are made by this blogger that any links will remain active.  

.

No comments: