Monday, December 4, 2017

Aunt Geneva Writes, Page 8

Copyright 2017, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

As genealogists go, I have been a pretty lucky one.  I have had great helpers, genie angels, and my great-aunt Geneva Halterman was interested in this sport and contributed our lines to several family books.  I am also lucky enough to have copies of 10 pages of history she wrote.  In a series of 10 posts, I will share them.  Images and my attempts at transcription of them.  Here is page 8.


all varnished, and large windows on either side, when looking to the east, the North Mt. rose to mind with its beautiful oaks arrayed in colors of henna and brown.  On the right was the vale below with Ball Knob coming to view, ranges of the (Branch, word lined out) Shenandoah Mts.

No more school house with their oily floors and unpainted walls. What a change.

At this dedication, unlike other dedications there was no call for money.  Rev. Showalter announced there was no indebtedness - - everything was paid off.

Meetings now were held each Sunday in this school -  with Rev. Lewis Showalter as the pastor - - later followed in 50 or 60's by Linden Wenger who lived in the community, then  later by Harly Good. As the Sunday school grew, (The following words were all lined through:  Sund School rooms were made upstairs) the upstairs for remodelled for class room, and an oil furnace was (added to the - all lined out) installed in the church but with the expansion of the Sunday School.

If you see errors in my transcriptions, please notify me.  Thanks to all my helpers and the family researchers that came before me.




.

No comments: