Monday, December 4, 2017

Aunt Geneva Writes, Page 5

Copyright 2017, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

As genealogists go, I have been a pretty lucky one.  I have had great helpers, genie angels, and my great-aunt Geneva Halterman was interested in this sport and contributed our lines to several family books.  I am also lucky enough to have copies of 10 pages of history she wrote.  In a series of 10 posts, I will share them.  Images and my attempts at transcription of them.  Here is page 5.


effective that it had a great drawing power.  In all there were about 72 converts, some (many lined out) of whom were baptized by Bishop Lewis Shank (pouring) in the nearby Capon Run   {{In the handwriting of Geneva's sister, Minnie:  my father was convert at Berkeys revival) }}

A few days after these meetings closed, the head lines in a July 1914 flashed the new in large bold letter that a powder key had exploded in Europe, the worse war of mankind and the many leading nations would become involved.  Austria - and Germany united against France, England, Russia, and other nations.  It looked as though the U.S. would become involved and in several years they were.  Several young who sat under Rev. Berkeys sounding voice previously were called into military training to be later sent over seas.  One of these three was killed on the battle front in France (All lined out:  This  These youngmen) Their attendance at Rev. Berkey's meetings was the first they had had the word of God preached to them.  Oh!  what a grand and glorious revival this was as it touched the hearts of so many - was just like the pouring out of the Holy Spirit - - That young men may see visions, and old men may dream dreams -

In the summer of 1916 Rev. Gurber, I believe from the Waynesboro area held one week's meet at the Capon Run School and one at the school house in the Upper Cove.  Several

If you see errors in my transcriptions, please notify me.  Thanks to all my helpers and the family researchers that came before me.




.

No comments: