Monday, December 4, 2017

Aunt Geneva Writes, Page 7

Copyright 2017, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

As genealogists go, I have been a pretty lucky one.  I have had great helpers, genie angels, and my great-aunt Geneva Halterman was interested in this sport and contributed our lines to several family books.  I am also lucky enough to have copies of 10 pages of history she wrote.  In a series of 10 posts, I will share them.  Images and my attempts at transcription of them.  Here is page 7.


after it was sold to my father David Halterman by the Rockingham School Bd. Then (words lined out) about this time schools were being consolidated and the one room schools in VA were being discontinued.

There was a slight decrease in addendence about 1928-1930 - when some of the members like Shipes and Herters moved to Gaithersburg, Md. and about the same time some of the people who attended these meetings moved to Martinsburg W. Va. After the school houses were being sold out due to consolidation, the need for a church became more urgent. Now the services in the school houses were being discontinued where the people knelt in prayer and sang prayers to God.

Around about 1956 - the Showalters saw where they could buy a lot from Moses Halterman for a church.  In the spring of 1937 under the direction of Rev. Lewis Showalter with the financial help of his brother, Mark, work was begun on a new church, called Mt. Herman, about 1 1/2 mile of W. V. along route 259.  A lot of free labor was donated and well as materials.

The church was completed by Nov. 1937.  On that beautiful balmy sunny Sunday of the 15 Nov. 1937, the church was dedicated. How beautiful and grand to walk into a new church all newly painted, hard floors and pews

If you see errors in my transcriptions, please notify me.  Thanks to all my helpers and the family researchers that came before me.




.

No comments: