Sunday, January 28, 2024

William N Lashbrook & Laura Jane Oakley, Research Report, the As It Is Series and One Short Newspaper Clipping.

Copyright 2024, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

This continues a series of posts, done in a very efficient (make that speedy fast) manner to share some research on the ancestors.  This is NOT intended to be the end all to end all report.  It's a work in progress, to show you what I have found, right or wrong. Kind feedback is welcomed via comments.

Let’s begin - - 

Meet - - William N. Lashbrook and his bride, Jane Oakley, and their children, Wallace, Eliza, Julia, Infant, and George.


I have been working newspapers, deep diving, for quite some time, oh, the interesting articles I have been finding.

This weekend, I found and typed up this jewel:  

From the Wisconsin State Journal, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, published November 1, 1852:
     “LIST OF LETTERS
     REMAINING IN THE POST-OFFICE AT MADION (sic)
     NOVEMBER 1, 1852
     Persons calling for letters advertised below will please say “THEY ARE ADVERTISED.”
     …
     Lashbrook. Wm.
     …
     C ABBOTT, P.M.”

** We note with interest that his daughter, Eliza Jane was born the day after this notification ran in the paper.  

I have written about Eliza before, see this link (you know I am no fan of links, but, well, sometimes one needs them).  Her date of birth is as recorded in her mother's Bible.  The Bible pages were  kindly shared by the late Kenneth Lashbrook many years ago.  Kenneth was a great-grandson of William and Laura Jane.

I love when I can find additional little pieces that help me place the families together, and/or in certain localities in specific time frames.  I had been looking for something for placing William in Madison, Dane County for a few years.  I will continue to look, but, for now, I am pleased with this "list of letters".  

Happiness this weekend was short, sweet and a list of letters.


* 1852 - Wisconsin law required counties to record births, but this was largely ignored.  I recently searched the data base at FamilySearch dot org for any birth record for any Lashbrook for the1820-1907, Index of births from the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services in Madison. Index provided by Ancestry dot com.  Nothing was found.  I also searched Wisconsin Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 and found nothing.

** Disclaimers, I use Find A Grave, Ancestry dot com, FamilySearch, several newspaper subscriptions, free sites, such as Virginia Chronicles, Virginia Chancery Cases online at the Library of Virginia and more to research my ancestors.  I pay for subscriptions, full price.

*** My judgements may or may not be correct.  Transcriptions may or may not have errors.

**** Links, URL's, for the most part will not be included henceforth on my posts, as so many of them change and then I have to come back and try to re-discover and relink.  Frankly folks, I have no desire to spend my limited time here on this side of the sod with those kinds of do overs.  As researchers, or just members of the internet community, sites such as Find A Grave are easy to find, some are free to use and with the information I am sharing with you, hopefully, you can duplicate the research/findings. That said, I have seen memorials at Find A Grave be removed.  If you have questions, I suggest you leave a nice comment for me. OR find the method I have outlined on my blog for contacting me.

No comments: