Wednesday, January 3, 2024

More Lashbrook Newspaper Fun

Copyright 2024, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

I may have mentioned a time or two - - I LOVE NEWSPAPERS - - 

Lately, I have been processing through 3,166 hits, give or take, from a newspaper collection available via the Community History Archive Digital newspaper collections.  Ya, that many hits.  Takes a while, but, the family tidbits have been more than worth the journey. In late December I found this.

First, a Lashbrook school??  Frankly, I do not remember hearing about this before.  Of course, look at that date, wahhoooo, 1870!!

Next, I have so many questions while I read this.  Who are these people?  Not names I recognize from my, cough, cough, years of researching the Lashbrook clan. (Since 1991, again, give or take.)  

Here, take a read while I do some internet snooping - - - 

From the Waverly Republican, Waverly, Bremer County, Iowa, published March 24, 1870:
     “SCHOOL EXHIBITION. - - The Lashbrook school closed on Friday, but owing to the bad weather in the beginning of the week, the exhibition was postponed until Saturday evening following.
      The school was conducted by D. W. Edgar, to the general satisfaction of the parents and scholars, and many happy remembrances of bygone days will be remembered by both scholars and teacher.
     The classes in Algebra, Book-keeping, and the first class in Arithmetic nearly finished their studies.
     The exhibition opened with greeting song, by the entire school, followed by declamations, dialogues; vocal and instrumental music by Alfred and Wesley Broadie, added much to the evening’s entertainment.
     Most of the speakers were young, and their ‘maiden’ effort was highly creditable.  Among the latter was Carrie Stockwell, Katy and Fannie Potter and Ida Curtis.  The ‘Universal Melody’ was sung by the Broadie boys, and was cheered by the audience.  Mary Broadie sung “I’m Ninety-Five,” and was loudly applauded.
     The Tableaux, ‘The Family Reunion,’ and ‘Good Night’ we’re called for the second time.
     The exercises closed by singing the ‘Good Night’ song by the school.
     As a whole the exhibition was a decided success, agreeable to scholars and teacher, and highly enjoyed by the large audience in attendance.
     The scholars return the sincere thanks to Mr. Broadie for the use of his organ.
     CEDAR”

OK, I'm back from my soooping.  I decided to take just a moment or two with the song names, decided on "Good Night" as my first snoop.

Right off, I found hits to the Library of Congress.  Here is the link. (You know how I feel about links, I dislike them, cause they morf and change and later all you see is Error 404, but, here it is anyway, good luck. See my disclaimer below sig line.) 


NOTE:  The Library of Congress Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music, ca. 1870 to 1885 collection is in the public domain and is free to use and reuse.

AND:  

Title
Good night! Love! Good night; Serenade
Names
Haig, Alex
Created / Published
Cincinnati : Church & Co., John, 1883.  (**Not sure why the 1883 vs my search for 1870, sigh.)
Notes
-  Record created through migration from the Performing Arts Encyclopedia Database.
Medium
1 online resource (1 score)
Repository
c-Music Electronic resource
Library of Congress Control Number
2023847770
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division

There are 6 pages digitized, here is the first one - - 


The next 4 pages, in the collection consist of the music and the words.

Disclaimer, when I searched for the "words" of the song in 1870, the hits list was LONG.  I'll pass on that for now.  

OK, that was fun.  Now, I have more news articles to type up.  I may return to this one and do some additional research in the future, I'll try to remember to update you if I do that.

Meanwhile - - YEA NEWSPAPERS and DIGITIZATION!



* Disclaimers, I use Find A Grave, Ancestry dot com, FamilySearch, several newspaper subscriptions, free sites, such as Virginia Chronicles, Virginia Chancery Cases online at the Library of Virginia and more to research my ancestors.  I pay for subscriptions, full price.

** My judgements may or may not be correct.  Transcriptions may or may not have errors.

*** Links, URL's, for the most part will not be included henceforth on my posts, as so many of them change and then I have to come back and try to re-discover and relink.  Frankly folks, I have no desire to spend my limited time here on this side of the sod with those kinds of do overs.  As researchers, or just members of the internet community, sites such as Find A Grave are easy to find, some are free to use and with the information I am sharing with you, hopefully, you can duplicate the research/findings. That said, I have seen memorials at Find A Grave be removed.  If you have questions, I suggest you leave a nice comment for me. OR find the method I have outlined on my blog for contacting me.

.

No comments: