Monday, April 10, 2023

Frustration During the Search for Eunice Darden, Daughter of John Robert Darden and his Wife Martha J. White.

Copyright 2023, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

I've been searching for peeps. As I always am.  In review of my data base transfer from Legacy to Reunion I am finding many errors, or things I am fixing to my own personal preferences.  Last night I was "adjusting" John Robert Darden and his family.  Found I had next to nothing on his daughter Eunice.  


Search commenced.  I found birth data, some good census hits.  Some very interesting other records, ships manifests (from Greece I believe).  TWO marriages.  Hubby # 1 dies rather young.  Marriage to # 2 is in Ontario?  That was a surprise for sure.

No death record, no obituary, no social security death records, no Find A Grave, other researchers indicate a 1966 or 1969 death. 
 
Kinda a normal research evening.

The odd thing - - both hubbies have the same last name and I do not see any relationship between the two dudes.  Thanks for that special gift. Both hubbies have Find A Grave memorial, and neither mention you.

At that point, I called it a night.  But, this morning, the snooping continued and after a bit, backing into a data base at Ancestry dot com, I find:

Eunice Meader
in the Massachusetts, U.S., Death Index, 1901-1980
Name Eunice Meader
Death Date 1991
Death Place Darden, Massachusetts, USA
Volume Number 39
Page number 227
Index Volume Number 142/143
Reference Number F63.M363 v.142/143

SOOOOO, the death date is NOT correct, if you look at the image and follow the columns down.  That death year of "1991" is actually her age.  Her age is reported at 91. Which is only about 4 years off by my figures. If you get in the correct column you will find the year of the death is reported/input as 1967.

The death place is not DARDEN.  That is her freaking maiden name.  Again, follow the columns. 

I followed the columns.  Then, I downloaded the image and I edited out the names above and below hers, maybe I just need more coffee to agree with this indexing muss. 

Whatchathink??

I have seen some weirdo indexing in my years.  All researchers have.  This one is top notch messy.



Lastly, I went back to Ancestry dot com and reviewed the description of the data base:

"About Massachusetts, U.S., Death Index, 1901-1980

This database contains an index to Massachusetts death records for the years 1901-1980. Entries will typically include a name, town, birth year, and a certificate number or a volume and page number for the original record.

The index for this database was generated using text recognition software."

This time the text recognition software had issues, eh??

Lessons I am reminded of.  Never give up.  Go back (even years later) and try again.  Look at the image, follow the lines and the columns carefully.  Review the background info on the data base, which frankly, we tend to skip over.  



* See my disclaimer page, I pay full admission price to Ancestry dot com.

** I did do the edit to report issues with the indexing on her entry.  Actually, I made 3 edits, one for the name, one for the place and one for the year of death.

*** From some snooping it seems the cost of a death certificate from Massachusetts is a bit north of $30.00.  As Eunice lives on a very thin branch of my tree I won't be ordering at this time.  I could get for about $20.00 in person.  LOL. Not likely.  Or, I could just view the certificate, also not likely at this time.  So, it becomes a "wish list" item and I move onward in the research.

**** Still no social security death index using the year 1967, also, no obituary or Find A Grave memorial.

***** After I scheduled this for publication I went back to close tabs on the computer browser.  And, discovered that my corrections have already been noted?  I am shocked as I have never seen that before.  Very happy too.



.

No comments: