Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Reading the Small Print

Copyright 2022, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Surfing newspapers archives can be and is addicting. I spend hours surfing those archives.  So much fun. Such a bonus and advancements in my data base.  Yes, some of my finds are tragic and so very sad.

Then, there are others.  Frankly, I was a bit surprised when this one was picked up by the indexing software.  


See that pale yellow highlighter?  That's my great-grandmother from my paternal lines.  I know it is not her hubby, as his initials were R. E.  And, the fact that this is from a 1935 newspaper.  Other research seems to indicate that he had passed about 1930. I would love to prove that, and, maybe some day I will.

I suspect this is an advertising "game", where they printed names of customers throughout the newspaper and if you found your name, you were awarded some small prize, like $5.00 of groceries, or some such.  No, I am not positive, that's a guess fueled by other similar finds over the years.

Small print, such fun.

* Disclaimers, I use Find A Grave, Ancestry dot com, FamilySearch, several newspaper subscriptions, free sites, such as Virginia Chronicles, Virginia Chancery Cases online at the Library of Virginia and more to research my ancestors.  I pay for subscriptions, full price.

** My judgements may or may not be correct.  Transcriptions may or may not have errors.

*** Links, URL's, for the most part will not be included henceforth on my posts, as so many of them change and then I have to come back and try to re-discover and relink.  Frankly folks, I have no desire to spend my limited time here on this side of the sod with those kinds of do overs.  As researchers, or just members of the internet community, sites such as Find A Grave are easy to find, some are free to use and with the information I am sharing you, hopefully, you can duplicate the research/findings. That said, I have seen memorials at Find A Grave be removed.  If you have questions, I suggest you leave a nice comment for me. OR find the method I have outlined on my blog for contacting me.

.

1 comment:

Taneya said...

That's interesting! I've seen small names in print just like that as well and never thought about it as an advertising game?