Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Lucy Ann Darden, Research Report, the As It Is Series

Copyright 2022, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

This continues what I hope I can turn into a series of posts, done in a very efficient (make that speedy fast) manner to share some research on the ancestors.  This is NOT intended to be the end all to end all report.  It's a work in progress, to show you what I have found, right or wrong. Kind feedback is welcomed via comments.

Let's begin - - 

Meet Lucy Ann Darden.


We believe Lucy was born in Suffolk, Nansemond County, Virginia, as that is where her parents lived when enumerated for the 1910 Census.

I became aware of Lucy during a research trip to the area in 2001.  I found her headstone in with a group of Darden kin.  Trouble was, I was unable to place her in the family. Who were her parents?  Since then, I have researched for her many times.  So far, any death record has escaped me.  Resources, such as cemetery lists, never had her linked to her parents.  Every time I asked questions, did deep research, talked to those more aware of the lines in the area, specifically family researchers that were deeply involved in the area and preserving it's history, no answers were forthcoming.

All I had was this photo I took of her headstone:


Every time I researched looking for answers about Lucy, I ended my search in a state of mourning.  For 20 years I never forgot Lucy.

Last winter, I found this obituary, and finally I knew where Lucy belonged.

From the Virginian-Pilot and Norfolk Landmark, Norfolk, Virginia, published on June 4, 1912:
     "FUNERAL OF AN INFANT
     Suffolk, Va., June 3.- - The funeral services of little Lucy Ann Darden, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry M. Darden, who died last night after a long illness, were conducted from the residence in Broad street this afternoon at 5 o'clock.  Rev. J. C. Robertson, pastor of Oxford Methodist Episcopal church, conducted the services and the remains were laid to rest in Cedar Hill cemetery."

Lucy has a memorial at Find A Grave, # 91122029.  I noted tonight that the memorial has the wrong year of death.  I suggested a change and I sent along a copy of her obituary.

It is always rewarding to reunite family, even if only in my data base.  I now feel at peace, knowing who Lucy's parents were and placing her in her rightful place in my history of the Darden family.


* Disclaimers, I use Find A Grave, Ancestry dot com, FamilySearch, several newspaper subscriptions, free sites, such as Virginia Chronicles, Virginia Chancery Cases online at the Library of Virginia and more to research my ancestors.  I pay for subscriptions, full price.

** My judgements may or may not be correct.  Transcriptions may or may not have errors.

*** Links, URL's, for the most part will not be included henceforth on my posts, as so many of them change and then I have to come back and try to re-discover and relink.  Frankly folks, I have no desire to spend my limited time here on this side of the sod with those kinds of do overs.  As researchers, or just members of the internet community, sites such as Find A Grave are easy to find, some are free to use and with the information I am sharing you, hopefully, you can duplicate the research/findings. That said, I have seen memorials at Find A Grave be removed.  If you have questions, I suggest you leave a nice comment for me. OR find the method I have outlined on my blog for contacting me.

.

No comments: