Sunday, April 24, 2022

William, or Bernard Sisco, Oh, Dear, Research Report, the As It Is Series

Copyright 2022, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

This continues a series of posts, done in a very efficient (make that speedy fast) manner to share some research on the ancestors.  This is NOT intended to be the end all to end all report.  It's a work in progress, to show you what I have found, right or wrong. Kind feedback is welcomed via comments.

Let's begin.

Meet - - William, or Bernard Sisco.  Oh, Dear.  You will see I have him entered into my data base as William.


Here is his birth record, recorded as William, courtesy of the Archives of Nova Scotia:


Here is the death record, again, courtesy of the Archives of Nova Scotia.  It clearly does not state the name of William, however, the age at time of death does match the birth record of William above.


The problem we have is that Alvin and Edna Sisco have another son named Bernard who was born in May of 1911 and dies in August of 1934.  

How the baby that dies in 1913 has the name recorded as Bernard is anyone's guess.  Genealogy researchers sadly see this type of mixup/error more than we would like to.  It just happens in the time of grief.  

We note that Edna's daughter Alice had died in January of 1912 of TB meningitis, this male child, William, dies in June of 1913 of "consumption" and her husband Alvin is suffering as well, and will pass in August of 1913 of TB.  

For the record, Alvin reported the death of Alice, but, one Edward Jarvis reported the deaths of this baby William and Alvin a few months later.

By doing the math, taking the age at death and compare to child's date of birth, we see that this death record matches the birth of William, not the birth of the child Bernard who survives to 1934.  The death record of the child Bernard has its own errors, but, the birth date is an exact match to the birth of Bernard in 1911.

And, yes, it took me a bit to figure out just what was going on here.

There is no memorial at Find A Grave for William.



* Disclaimers, I use Find A Grave, Ancestry dot com, FamilySearch, several newspaper subscriptions, free sites, such as Virginia Chronicles, Virginia Chancery Cases online at the Library of Virginia and more to research my ancestors.  I pay for subscriptions, full price.

** My judgements may or may not be correct.  Transcriptions may or may not have errors.

*** Links, URL's, for the most part will not be included henceforth on my posts, as so many of them change and then I have to come back and try to re-discover and relink.  Frankly folks, I have no desire to spend my limited time here on this side of the sod with those kinds of do overs.  As researchers, or just members of the internet community, sites such as Find A Grave are easy to find, some are free to use and with the information I am sharing with you, hopefully, you can duplicate the research/findings. That said, I have seen memorials at Find A Grave be removed.  If you have questions, I suggest you leave a nice comment for me. OR find the method I have outlined on my blog for contacting me.

.

No comments: